Re: [RC] tying up mystery - Jean

My horse had EPSM. Go to  www.ruralheritage.com   Karen Valentine is an expert on EPSM and you can read alot about it. Even though my horse was a Belgian I have read that they are finding it in most other breeds including Arabs. Good Luck.   Jean
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] tying up mystery

I can't remember - but I thought I read about a muscle condition (??EPSM or something like that) where the muscles don't process ?glucose / starch  correctly.  Sorry -- I can't remember the details.  I believe the correction was to eliminate ALL grain, and use beet pulp and rice bran for calories (fat instead of starch).   Anyhow, it might be worth checking with your vet and having a muscle biopsy done.

So any other ideas of what to try?  Anything we've missed?  Or is this even a metabolic issue and we're misdiagnosing it?

thanks for your advice!

cindy