RE: [RC] [RC] Misquoting - heidi

Feeding cattle on the public rangelands is NOT free!  Ranchers pay by the head, and when you add up the cost of the things that the cattleman must provide for the cattle in addition to paying for each "AUM" (animal unit month), the costs are very similar to the going rates for renting private pasture where the landowner provides and maintains many of the basic necessities.

Yes, the cattlemen make a living raising cattle--just as you must make a living at whatever it is that you do.  I am always puzzled by why people seem to get angry that the ranchers must feed their families by making living just as the rest of us must do.  They pay a fair price for what they use on the public lands, just as endurance ride managers must pay a price for the use of the land, etc.

As for the roads, most of them are two-track jeep roads that are much appreciated by recreational users of the public lands as they are often the only means of reaching many areas of the land.  And the improved watering sites are often what keep many of the wildlife species watered as well.  The ranchers have a very symbiotic relationship with the land, and also with the other land users--and those of us who enjoy the public lands for recreational purposes would be much poorer for their absence.

Heidi

This sounds good but Cattle ran on BLM do a lot of damage and the ranchers make water ponds, catch pens with large equipment, which also take roads to get to, blah, blah blah....So the Cattle do have private owners that make money on the sale of Cattle which is done by having free feed all summer (or winter in some areas) on BLM land.  I know this first hand.  We used to have a cattle ranch in Council, Idaho, and couldn't wait to move the stock up to the BLM lands with our BLM grazing rights permit....which is funny, that can be sold too!

So this just gets deeper as a subject.....

Tammy Robinson
Trail-Rite Products
18171 Lost Creek Road
Saugus, CA 91390