[RC] Dr. Shaikh Sultan Bin Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan Challenge - Steph Teeter

Here we go! I have a horse for the Ladies Challenge! I haven't seen her yet, but her name is Suzi, owned by Sh. Hamdan I believe. Sheikha Madiya invited me to come ride last week and arranged to provide me with a horse! It's going to be the first time I've competed here since 2001 when they shipped my big Orlov Trotter Nature's Khruschev over for the World Cup (Worlds Most Preferred). Since then I've been here in UAE many times, but not as a rider. This is going to be a blast! I assume I'll be riding with Sheikha Madiya and her crew. I'll be counting on Madiya, and the people who know Suzi best, to set the pace. I don't know what she's capable of so will just have to ride loop to loop and see how it goes.

We were going to try the horses today, but I think the rain is predicted to fall -all- day, so it will probably be postponed till tomorrow. I picked up a nasty cold last weekend, so I don't mind another day of hot tea and rest before riding. I'm nearing the end of the big fat book I'm reading - Shantaram - a fairly epic book which has just taken me from India to Pakistan and on into Afghanistan. It's a highly recommended read. Incredibly descriptive narrative, poignant and sad and amazing too...

For now I'll be staying at Madiya's stable (she has a little chalet there, small but very nice) and will be coming over to Bab Al Shams hotel to use their wireless internet in the lobby. UAE is a mess at the moment - they are experience record rainfall and everything is under water!! It's been raining since Sunday, and the last 36 hours have been heavy rain non-stop, and they are predicting more to come. Major highways are flooded and closed, lots of accidents, schools are closed, flights cancelled... flash flood warnings in the wadis. I can't imagine what it's doing to the tourist industry. Madiya's chalet is leaking - water is seeping into the house along the floor and wall seams, her stables are little lakes. The stash of shavings for the stalls is under a covered roof, but the ground is lower than the surrounding sand and it is a lake as well. This does not feel like the desert :)

It's supposed to clear up though tomorrow, and current prediction for Saturday ride is pretty good - 20C (70F - thanks!), partly sunny. The track will probably still have puddles though!

From the press:
Abu Dhabi: The First Round of the Dr. Shaikh Sultan Bin Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan Challenge endurance competition has attracted over 35 entries and with Hydra Properties lending its support this event for lady riders has received a tremendous boost.
Shaikha Hessa Bint Sultan Bin Khalifa Al Nahyan, Shaikha Madiya Hasher Mana Al Maktoum, Shaikha Maryam Bint Omer Al Qasimi and Shaikha Asma Taleb Al Qasimi along with riders from the UAE, France, Germany, Uruguay, US, Australia, Great Britain and Canada are among the 35-plus who have entered so far.
(that's me from US - woo hoo!)

more later-

Steph