[RC] lawsuit - terre

"..."--then how would other ride managers know about it? (officially?) Or, how DID they know about it? Can/should they ban riders based on anecdotal information?..."

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I think I remember that a plurality of RM's tried to ban a rider a few years ago based on alleged misconduct, and the banned rider protested to the P&G committee. The P&G committee decided, in this case, that there was not a proper documented reason for the ban.

My takeaway was that to ban a rider an RM had to be able to document the misconduct, and the safest course of action would be for the RM to file a protest and let the P&G committee handle it.

Please note: This is just my remembrance of the event. If I am wrong, I apologize.

Ed

No, Ed, you are entirely correct, and that was part of my reason for asking the question.

There is a difference between a ride manager who has witnessed or dealt with an issue at his/her ride saying "you are not welcome to come back", and a number of ride managers who were not involved banning a rider based on what they were told happened. (Note that there is no 'official report' from any party). This is especially true when they include "prior bad acts" in their reason....

Now, if EACH of those ride managers had their OWN bad experience, they should have no trouble producing justification for the banning. But if they have simply been TOLD that this person did such-and-such, and oh,by the way, has been abusing horses for years....that's not the same.

I actually don't doubt that the ride managers acted correctly (based, of course, entirely on the gossip I'VE heard!) I am just not real happy with a system where a bunch of people get together, in the absence of the accused, and decide to 'discipline' him with no official sanction.

Now, of course, if the rider really felt mistreated he could protest---which is what happened in the case Ed quotes. And the P&G committee would then be informed of--and subsequently publish--the facts...including the history referred to. If the rider chose not to do this....well, there might be a reason for his silence.

terre