[RC] RO-L - k s swigart

Susan Garlinghouse said:

I'm undoubtedly behind the power curve playing catch up
on this thread, but here's an example of when an RO-L
would be appropriate.

Let's say a horse throws a shoe out on a loop and the
owner puts on an easy boot to get into the vet check.
The horse is not lame and trots out sound. The horse is
judged fit to continue, though probably with a comment
to keep an eye on the easy booted foot.  There is no
shoer available to replace the shoe, and the rider has
the option of pulling the other shoe and going barefoot,
easy booting both feet, or continuing with one shoe and one
easyboot.  The rider wants to do the right thing and feels
that continuing on puts the horse at risk of causing some
soreness from moving unevenly, thus opts to withdraw.
 As such, that horse/rider is entitled to a RO-L.

With this I cannot agree.  This is no more RO-Lame than it would be if a
rider were to go out on the trail, find that it is rockier than
expected, didn't feel that the horse was properly prepared for the
terrain and decided to pull the horse before the rocky conditions might
cause a stone bruise.

As far as I am concerned the only proper use for RO-Lame is if the vet
doesn't think the horse is lame enough to pull but the rider does.

However, as far as I am concerned distinguising among the reasons that
riders elect not to go on with their horses that the vets have
determined to be "fit to continue" horses is just damned silly, and the
AERC should just combine all of the "RO" designations into Withdrawn,
and if it is because the rider thinks that worrying about whether the
easyboot is going to adequately protect the horse's otherwise
unprotected foot will take the fun out of the ride is irrelevant.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

"If the end justifies the means, everybody is justified." John G. Beck,
PhD