Re: [RC] Pull codes--Hey Kathy...what about this? - Susan

What is vague is VC.  If a horse comes into a vet check and passes but the rider wants some kind of a RO then the horse does something within 30 minutes, can the pull code be changed?  Once the horse has completed the ride and has had the final exam, the completion code can't be changed.  Obviously there won't be any kind of a RO code at the end of a ride.

From what I read from JT, it seems he thinks there is another check after the vet check.  No, there isn't.  Why would there be?  You come into the VC, pulse down, see the vet, vet examines equine.  If vet rules equine fit 2 continue but the rider doesn't want to continue, the pull code is some kind of RO.  If the vet finds a lameness or metabolic issue, the pull code is L or M independent of what the rider's intent is.

Acording to Rule 6.2.1.1:

All equines must stand a mandatory post-ride evaluation
within one hour of finish. Riders may present
their equines for the final examination at a time of
their choosing during the one-hour period. An equine
that does not meet the established criteria including
pulse criteria within one hour of crossing the finish
line shall be disqualified. Once a competing equine
has passed the post-ride examination, it may not be
removed from completion for veterinary reasons.

This rule does not address VC.  Does anyone know if another rule addresses this issue of changing a pull code at a vet check?

Beth Walker <bwalker2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't believe #4 occurs. This is my understanding of the process:

1) You arrive at a vet gate, get a Fit2Continue
2) You decide to pull.
3) You tell the vet that you are not continuing. At that point, you
have to turn in your ride card, and the code is determined and recorded:
-- RO: You are pulling for non-horse related reasons
-- RO-L: Something is going on lameness-wise, even though it is not
bad enough for a vet pull.
-- RO-M: Same thing, but metabolic
-- RO-S: Same thing, but for cuts, bruises, cactus spines, tack
galls, etc.

Once that is done, even if you go back to the vet for a recheck, or
things deteriorate, etc., the code is not changed.