Re: [RC] rider option - Barbara McCrary

Any horses we have had with scratches usually acquired them from riding in alkali on the desert.  I have had good luck curing it with Cut Heal.  A fairly good way of preventing scratches from developing from riding on the desert was clipping the fetlock hair very close and slathering lots of Desitin on the pasterns BEFORE anything happened.  The Desitin kept the alkali from getting on the skin and kept the skin soft and flexible.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 6:06 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] rider option

Yep, I tried everything from antibiotics to salves, and in the end, sauerkraut was the winning application. Go figure... lol

Chris A <bayrabhorses@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
whatever it's called, its a bugger to get rid of!

Lori Bertolucci <loribertolucci@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I had heard that term before, just forgot about it.  :)

Chris A <bayrabhorses@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've heard it called greasy heel too. Its like rainrot on the fetlocks and pasterns

Lori Bertolucci <loribertolucci@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
mud fever...don't know any other name for it...

kramspott@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
What are scratches in this context?

--

Kathy

My RO's were for a lameness I felt coming on, and scratches that were getting worse by the minute...
The vet with the lameness issue, couldn't see it, but I could feel it. By the time we got back to camp, via trailer, he was dead lame...and I was very glad I pulled...

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is. - Albert Einstein, physicist

Chris Anton
Skype: Chris A