[RC] RO Pulls - Michael Maul

John pointed out something that might not be clear from my post about RO pulls

RO = Rider sick, injured, doesn't want to continue - horse fit to continue according to the vet

RO-L = Rider fine - Vet thinks the horse is fit to continue but the rider does not for a possible lameness reason.

RO-M = Rider fine - Vet thinks the horse is fit to continue but the rider does not for a possible MB reason.

Here's a possible RO-L example

Let's say I have a horse that's had a LF lameness problem on and off for a while. I see it occasionally when I condition and but most times not. Lameness exams have not been able to determine where or if there there is a problem.

I'm in a ride that's a little rough and rocky. I see a little problem on and off on the trail but when I come in to the vet check - the vet says he looks fine.

With my past experience and knowing the horse well - I think it may get worse if I go out on the next loop and we are unlikely to finish the ride. I don't see a point in trying to make it through the ride just for the completion and risk possible injury to my horse.

I pull the horse with a RO-L even though the vet thinks he's fit to continue. It's my personal knowledge of the horse that makes me know he may not really be alright even though a vet who has seen him all of 2 minutes thinks he's OK.

It's your responsibility to take care of your horse especially when you know more about the horse than the vet does in the limited time they have to observe the horse.

Having the RO-X code makes it possible for us to distinguish between a rider problem RO and a horse problem RO-X.

Mike