RE: Re: [RC] [RC] Malaysia - Success in the Desert! - John Teeter - Leonard.Liesens

Concerning Coc and monitoring of metabolic pulls... So if I read well the regulation, one rider that get two consecutive metabolic pulls is definetly out of the game for a qualification for the WEC2008. In other words, if any rider who pulled for metabolic in this Dubai ride for example pulls once again in the coming weeks, this rider is out of consideration.

Leonard(www.endurance-belgium.com)

Re: [RC] Malaysia - Success in the Desert! - John Teeter

I'm just curious why this is so different at their FEI events. When I rode FEI I was threatened with disqualification if my crew stepped over the imaginary line at the arrival timer to hand me my blanket. How the heck does FEI monitor what's going on if every contender has an entire crew complete with a vet and truck out there with them on the trail?

It comes down to how the local FEI officials interpret/interject themselves into the competition as well as how the organizing committee lays down the ground rules. At the Owyhee rides, there are places were it's not possible/safe to have non-competitors, so restrictions on crew access are needed. In Dubai, there are roads within roads - so no need to restrict access for safety reasons and the common practice there is observation at all places and crewing at defined places (where every water stop is a defined place). The imaginary line at the in timer is still enforce there as well.

As to how the FEI monitors what goes on -- I'd have to say they really don't - at least not completely or consistently. The FEI officials are mostly fall back if someone complains.

I wonder how their monitoring of CoCs is going on vis-a-vis all those metabolic/invasiveTreatment pulls which occur every week around the globe. The FEI monitoring process has been handed off to the National Federations, but the NFs don't have any monitoring etc etc. so who's to know ...

HRJ johnt