Re: [RC] more cowhocked - Linda Marins

Uh, folks, you really need to read some of the veterinary research literature on this
subject. "Contracted tendons" is a *misnomer*.  The tendon doesn't contract.  A horse
that has this happen to it eventually grows an entire distorted hoof/bone/muscle/tendon
structural system, but it didn't start out with the tendon "contracting."

This is not a subject that one can solve with intuition and logic.  It is complicated
by the fact that there are multiple, very similar phenomena that occur in the
young horse that result in very similar looking "clubby" feet in the adult horse--but
which have different original causes.

Vets are some of the worst offenders when it comes to mixing up their
terms and causes.  A lot of the story that you get depends upon what
was the current story when the vet went through vet school.  Some vets
keep up with the literature, many don't.

I haven't done a club foot vet literature search in around 10 years.
Maybe I'll take the time to do another one.  The story is always
changing...

Linda Marins