[RC] Next day, next ride - Steph Teeter

Quick update -

late to bed last night , up early for the next ride at Emirates International Endurance Village - The Abu Dhabi International Book Fair - Sorough Cup. 120km. 100+ starters, big ride. The winner just came in, Hassan bin Ali riding Blackheath Kira. I don't know the time but it was most likely fast :) Hot on his heels was Sh Majid bin Mohd Al Maktoum on Omani Iman - close, but not close enough to catch him. Between the two front running riders there must have been at least 75 vehicles (including ours, Grace was driving, Madiya riding shotgun) out there too. Juma Punti wasn't far behind the others - we passed him on our way to catch the front runners. Madiya retired Alia at 88km, she wasn't eating well and Madiya figured she'd had enough. Save her for next ride. (there is no stigma here for pulling - retiring your horse, and no 'to finish is to win' motivation. If the horse isn't in top form then you stop, and start planning for next time.)

I'll have more on all this later - I just have a quick bit of internet for now.

The horse I rode yesterday is fine - they caught her not long after we parted ways - she had some cuts on her legs from the upside-down saddle and stirrups, and a scrape on her hip - probably where the saddle met it's last resistance - and she had cuts on the fronts of both shoulders - looked like she ran into a fence. but everything was superficial. The steward took a few stitches and I think they held him in the hospital to monitor him since it was a head injury - but again, luckily, nothing serious.

Tons of photos to go through, will get a chance for internet again tomorrow (back to Madiya's stable, and Bab Al Shams wireless).

and more story -

later-

Steph