Re: [RC] bin Ladens son wants to put on an Endurance Ride across Africa - Linda Marins

----- Original Message -----
From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Tom,
>
> I think we lose sight of history.  Afghanistan was caught in the Cold
> war between the Soviet Union and the US. Eisenhower was the first US
> president to offer aid to Afghanistan as a wedge in the region against
> the Russians. Afghanistan provided a land wedge between our long time
> ally Pakistan to the South and the Soviet Republics of to the North...
Funny (actually not so funny):  I'm just about finished re-reading
The Far Pavillions; the last 300 pages of which is taken up
with incidents in the story of the 19th century struggle between
Great Britain and Tsarist Russia to control Afghanistan.

In some ways it is appalling the degree to which the USofA
has ended up heir to the worst blunders of the British Empire...
and keeps re-enacting them.

I wish Turner Classic Movies would air Khartoum.  To my
knowledge, no cable channel has done so since the beginning
of the Iraq war.  The Neo-Cons would do well to take
a lesson from the great debate between Gladstone and Disraeli.

Well, at least Steph didn't break her neck!

Linda Marins