RE: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5653 - Natalie Herman

> I believe you have that reversed -- three hours trailering equaling one
> hour of riding. But of course, it depends on a lot of factors, such as
> how you drive, the roads you drive on, the condition of your trailer,
> and of course on how well your horse trailers.
> Joe Long

I have heard various versions of this...one hour trailer=one hour walking, 3hrs=1, etc etc..
personally, our guys go on LONG drives (6hrs is SHORT, most are 8-12 and for the Duck rides we often do 2-3 days of 8-12...) and they hop out of the trailer bouncing around and pulling on the lead lines. Then at ride start they act like they just walked out of the pasture, not did several 50's back to back:P
So I just don't buy the propaganda, though it is most likely a good way to get ppl to drive slower, easier, and with more rests (ours get all three, one of the reasons we think they do so well on the long trips). It does depend on the horse...some are horrible travelers, others great. I had an animal communicator "ask" my horse (out of curiosity...haven't you ever wondered? :P) if she liked the 3 horse slat or my 2 horse xtra tall/wide Brenderup straightload better (asking just "which of my trailers does she like better")...
She said the mare said she liked the slant cause "she could sleep easier" in it, but liked the straight cause it "has more food"...or maybe it was the other way around...can't remember...then she said that she "really liked the time she was in the big open box all by herself"...she felt "special"...I had taken out the dividers in the 3horse to pick her up from being bred for the long drive home and spread shavings all over and wetted them down (it was HOT on I-5) and let her ride loose...I swear I never told the communicator about that...uncanny...:). So who knows..
 Nat (if the horse can "sleep" in the trailer, no wonder she has no issues arriving fresh..:P)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.... 'Wow! What a ride!' "