From: mikelewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Trailering, then riding
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:06:22 -0500

I am finding that I frequently am unable to get out of work in time to get to rides on Friday afternoons or early evenings as I'd like (5:00 pm is when my boss lets me go and I can't ask to leave early on a semi-frequent basis).  When I was doing LD, I didn't fret too much about arriving at a ride shortly before it began the day of the race; however I've moved "up" to 50s (on an experienced horse) and am not sure arriving the day of a race will be so kind to my horse now.

If a race is being ridden more as a ride, i.e. conservatively, is there any reason one could not simply trailer to a ride the day of the event and give the horse an hour or two to recover from the trailer ride before starting?  Starting late is OK, as I know my mare will have no trouble completing most rides well within time (even with a late start).  She trailers well and often, and I'd plan to simply ride these types of rides for completion.  What are folks' thoughts/experiences on this?   I'd trailer no more than 5-6 hours before such a ride.

Thanks,

Mike