Re: [RC] Safe??? - Truman Prevatt

The FL equine limited liability law is pretty clear. There is protection from the normal things that can happen - such as someone falling off a schooling horse that spooked when a car out front backfired. It requires that the riders understand the risk - that is what the waiver does. The sign a document that tells them the risk and that they are responsible for anything that happens because of the normal risk. It does, however, not protect against negligence. That is for example if a instructor is giving lessons using their tack and a saddle billet breaks and the rider falls off. If the billets were rotten it would be considered negligent and the instructor would not enjoy the protection of the law. The instructor would liable.

It seems the same concept applies to 2 below. Clearly no RM can eliminate every hazard. However, if there are known hazards, common sense tells you to somehow communicate to the riders that they are there. I've had my horse fall in a old gopher tortoise colony (they live in large borrows under ground). She fell on her side at an nice little canter. I went face first, slid in the sand (than goodness it was sand), broke my nose and separated my shoulder. It was on an old sand road that had used as a trail for years and no one knew of the hazard. That is one of the risk of riding and no one could realistically expect the RM to know about it - I sure didn't.

However, if a ride is routed through a area that was once row planted trees and there were a lot of holes hidden in the grass from rotting stumps the RM would most likely know it and if they did, IMO they should some how communicate that fact to the riders of the increased risk. If not I expect that would be consider negligent.

I must say in the SE ride managers go overboard to mark hazards. They will even go out during the ride and mark one they didn't know about if a rider brings it to their attention. They have spotters at road crossings if there is any chance of traffic- especially when at the beginning when the horses are bunched together and can be pretty hyper.

I think it all comes down to common sense. If there is a know hazard that might not be detected by riders in time to prevent injury from the hazard and the ride manager knows it - it should be communicated to the riders and the best way is to mark it. Not to do so might open the RM up to being determined to have been negligent in which case at least in FL the equine limited liability law is no longer in effect.

There is a lot of difference between accidents that happen because of the inherent risk of riding a horse and accidents that happen because the rider is not informed about known hazards that might not be readily visible until he/she is put at an unnecessary unacceptable level of risk. Of course there a lot of words above that have a range of meanings - but that's why we have lawyers ;-) .

Truman

Beth Walker wrote:

1) The rider that brings suit for what most people knowledgeable in endurance would not consider to be a valid reason, especially if that rider actually precipitated the events by their actions.

2) The rider that brings suit for what can legitimately be called a good reason: a known danger that was not addressed, etc.

There seem to be some various opinions, some of which seemed to be on the extreme end of things, i.e., No rider has the right to bring a suit against RMs or vets. You signed a waiver, so tough. If you bring a suit anyway, we can ban you from future rides.

That position does not address #2. It makes the assumption that Ride Management is never, and could never, be in the wrong, and riding horses is risky anyway, so management is never liable. It is that extreme position that I do not agree with.

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil