Re: [RC] [RC] Outlaw Trail 1998--nostalgiac moment - Linda Marins

----- Original Message -----
From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

There was a discussion of this at the time it happened and I think you
are correct. It has to do with competitive events. You can go ride it
yourself with no problems. This is similar to running competitive events
through wilderness areas. The Tevis does - but there is an exemption for
the Tevis...
You don't need an endurance ride to go ride it - just don't get lost ;-) .

I'd like to know how this came out, too.  As I recall, as a result of
Clinton's designation of this as a National Monument, there was a
(draft?) land management plan that restricted the number of "heartbeats."

Then, when the Bush Administration came in, they announced that
they were going to take a second look at the proposed land
management plan.  I believe the revisions were mostly going
to be to loosen restrictions to suit the mining interests.  That's
when I lost track of the whole thing.

In general, the record of horseman's rights to access public land
being upheld under the Bush Administration is abysmal.   This
is discouraging, because we aren't likely to get a better
combination of what *ought* to be sympathetic majorities
in Congress and in the White House for many years to come.
We couldn't even get the watered-down Right-to-Ride bill
passed.  The new Right-to-Ride bill is DOA, in my opinion.

To me, this is key unanswered question about trail politics
of the last eight years.  Why coulnd't we do better?  My
hypothesis is that it was the environmental interests who
control the Fish & Wildlife services that quietly did us in,
pretending to pit hunters and fishermen--very organized
powerful Republican constituencies--against horses.  But I
don't really know.  Wish I did.

Linda Marins