Re: [RC] Longstreet's Charge - desertrydr1

My 22-yr old Arab mare exactly!  I got her when she was 5, and thought maybe by the time she was 10, I could let my son, who would also be 10, ride her.  NO WAY.  I still have only ever let one other person ride her, and that was at the end of a fast conditioning ride, after she actually had settled down, and we were just walking in the last mile.

She only ever did LDs because I was afraid I couldn't control her for 50's, plus she never did learn to eat and drink the way I thought she should.  She's been retired a while, had a total of 3 babies, the last are 3 and 6 this year.  I can take her out for a "pleasure" ride, as long as I just walk the whole way.  If I let her trot, she tries to go fasterandfasterand FASTERANDFASTER.  If I let her canter, it's all over.  I used to joke when we were doing LDs that my arms got inches longer at each ride.

Dr. Dick Root always thought she'd do great at the longer distances, maybe even 100's, but I never got the nerve to try them on her because of her gut sound issues.  jeri