Re: [RC] Splint injury? - Don Huston

Hello Melinda,

I bought my current enduro horse in 2000 from the track with existing cold splints on both front legs. They were fine for years then in Feb 2007 after the Eastern Mojave ride the RF leg swelled up all down below the old splint bump which was also much bigger. Looked terrible but he was not lame. Xrays showed a broken splint bone with a piece missing? an old racetrack repair? Ultrasound showed several tears in the ligament below the splint bump. Obviously he had re-injured the old splint and the vet recommended surgery at $3000 with no guarantee for soundness. I said no, that I would try R&R first. Rehab & Ride X;{

The vet also recommended steel shoes for support. I said no, the horse had been barefoot for 4 years at that point and is still barefoot. I do glue boots on for endurance rides only.

I did all those things that Elizabeth did plus used a TENS unit 3-4 hours a day 4-5 days a week for several months. I left the horse with his 2 buddies in their usual 40x100 pen so he kept moving, no stall rest. After several months the swelling was down 50%, felt firm, very slightly warmer than the other leg, and the horse showed no flinching or pain to hard palpating. We started back with light riding and by Sept he was back doing his usual 6-8mile training rides in 1 hour.

Then one beautiful Sept afternoon on my 1 mile of perfect trail where this horse had run fast many times in the past I decided it was time to test the leg. Up to this point we had cantered and galloped many short spurts but always a minute or less. We covered the mile in our usual 3 minutes barefoot and everything seemed fine. The next day I was shocked to see the leg swelled up just like before but the horse showed no pain and trotted out circles just fine so I continued riding but no more cantering and the swelling gradually started back down.

In Oct 07 we did the LD at Manzanita in 5 hrs and got Top 5 BC based on vet scores, not placement. The leg still looked like crap and I told the vets what I had been doing and they checked the leg and the trot extra careful, said the horse was fine. The leg actually looked better after the 25 than before.

In Nov 07 we did the Tejon 50 in 7.5 hrs and same thing. The leg looked like crap but better after the 50.

So far in 08 the horse has completed 6-50's plus many training rides and the leg still looks like crap but slightly better all the time. Go figure.

Don Huston