Re: [RC] trailer loading issue, banging hind shins - Elizabeth Walker

Ramps aren't a cure-all, as there are different problems. (I do like ramps, however. They are a godsend when you have an injured or sick horse -- I've had both.). The biggest problem with a ramp is that a horse can slip on the ramp itself, especially in damp or rainy weather. I have a ramp, but it is an older trailer, so it is somewhat short, and a bit steep. In dry weather, this isn't a big problem, but in damp or rainy conditions, Caisson has slipped on the ramp coming out.

I don't know how much it would be to add a ramp. I think it would depend on the trailer as to whether it would be possible. If it isn't possible, then I would try progressive re-training.

First, if you don't already, buy some good trailer wraps (or standing wraps, or polo wraps for short trips). Anything that will pad his legs. That way, if he does slip he at least won't hurt himself. Also, since he tends to jump in, I would use bell boots on the front (get him used to them before you try loading with them). A friend of mine had her horse clip himself on the heel bulb (took off a chunk) when he jumped in and overreached.

Then, find a spot where the ground comes up level ( or very nearly ) with the back end of the trailer, so there is virtually no step AT ALL. Start there, and work with him until he is comfortable loading again in that situation.

Then find a new spot with just a LITTLE bigger step, etc., etc. If you can overcome his anxiety, then make sure you find good ground for loading and unloading so that there are no slipping incidents. (I would bet it is the slipping that he is worried about, as well).

I used this method with Caisson when he started exploding out of the trailer because he was worried about slipping on the ramp while backing out. I now carry the Lynx levelers with me to raise the angle of the ramp when I trailer out. Unfortunately, with a step-up, you don't have that option.

Good luck.