[RC] Oh the JOY of horses! (or buffalos) - Melissa Margetts Ms. Kitty

I gotta respond to this new thread on JOY, I can't help but feeling the need to add a link to a pic of me riding my my new Tevis prospect. She's my White Buffalo, Big Medicine. I just started riding her a few days ago and I can "rein" her wherever she wants to go! I was planning on riding my Paso Fino, Cabo again this year at Tevis. (see following link) Being a gaited horse, the vets at all the Tevis vet checks would comment on his ride card after each trot-out : "yep gaited horse, lame on all four feet, he passes". Well after Tevis was canceled this year, I started looking at my buffalo in a new light and with strategy and tactics in mind for riding Tevis next year. I figure that if we sign up for starting out in the first pen, she should be able to scatter most of the "hot-shoes" off of the trail right off the bat, opening it up for us. Though she doesn't have that nice extended trot that I've been hearing you all talking about lately, she still has a smooth, fast, consistent lope and can run for miles. (I know, she blasted through the fence once and beat me and my Toyota Tacoma pick-up to the next ranch 8 miles away to visit with a fellow Bovine) When we get into any of the Tevis vet checks with other front runners, their heart rates should go right through the roof when they see her big ol' Brillo-head top knot and horns come trotting in, thereby allowing us to to leave early as her working HR is lower anyway. THEN if I rub just a little bit of old poop from my mountain lions pen on her butt, then no one will be able to get their horses to run up on us and pass. This strategy might allow us to Top-Ten or even WIN!She brings me joy because she trailers better than any of my horses and prefers to just stand in there and eat all day. She lies down so I can climb on and off of her like a camel which is easier on my old bones. She can eat anything, including moldy hay and not founder, doesn't need to wear shoes or Easy boots. She can run for miles without getting winded as we live at 9,600ft. Yes she'll probably need an extra long breast collar but will never need a crupper! And like all of us, I have a tack shed FULL of saddles that wont fit my horses, whatta ya wanna bet that one of them will fit a buffalo like a glove?!

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/wilsonwienerbean/BigMedicineMe.jpg
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/wilsonwienerbean/LissaandBigMedicine-thumb.jpg

2. Cabo, my Paso Fino Gives me great Joy & constant amazement. He was the first of his breed to complete the Tevis Cup and he's totally unflappable on the trail. Here is a pic of him walking with my Mountain Lion and one of him encountering a momma bear and her 2 cubs on the Tevis trail in Squaw. Love this pony!

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/wilsonwienerbean/XR5L1894-62.jpg
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/wilsonwienerbean/A.jpg
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/wilsonwienerbean/CougarRock.jpg

Melissa Margetts