Re: [RC] what is best mph for trot? - Stacy Sadar

Joe,

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU for saying this!

I have been arguing this point with people who think I'm killing my horse by cantering so much.  I explain over and over again that the heart rate is lower at a canter than a trot with this particular horse.  Mind you, I really prefer to ignore them but after 2-3 miles of their complaining, I can't take it anymore.  I KNOW my horses!  This one prefers a canter versus getting uptight and all crazy at a fast trot and therefore the HR is better.

The other is lower at a nice extended trot.  As he's getting older and better that extended trot moves into a nice canter and I'm starting to see a lower HR at a canter versus a trot.

So, for all those out there who get ticked off at me cantering and can't keep from telling me how horrible I am being to my horse..."my horse expends less energy at a canter!"   Bottom line is that It's up to the rider to know their horse, not the person who's riding another horse and knows nothing about mine!

Stacy