Re: [RC] Who rides english saddles ? - Susan

Hi Diana,

In my experience, each saddle is different.  To say a dressage saddle doesn't put your leg underneath you isn't correct.  YOUR saddle doesn't but another dressage saddle might.

Having said that...

I ride in a Stubben Sigfried and love it.  It's short enough for my horses' (more than one horse) backs yet big enough for me.  I enjoy the security it offers since it's more of an "eventer" saddle.  The seat is medium deep and the knee blocks are substantial.   I can get forward and stay over my horse's center.

I'm not a fan of "horsemanship" that allows you to move your foot to the horse's shoulder (say...going down a steep hill) or all the way back to his flank.  You shouldn't have to fight your saddle in order to stay balanced.

I suggest you try every saddle you can get your seat in.  You can figure out what's too small; too large; just right; comfy; etc.  Each saddle is different (IE brand vs type vs style) so you'll just have to test ride them to find one you like.

Let me know if you're coming north to OK (MSNM Aug. 16, Cougar Prowl Sept. 14, Indian Territory Oct. 4) and I'll be happy to let you test my saddles.  I'll bring everything I've got so you can test them and see what you like and don't like.

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan Young, ISSO Secretary, ISSO Points Secretary, Regional Representative
Your Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)