Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Confirmation- reply to Tuni - Kathy Mayeda

It's genetics coupled with bad management practices.  Bey Shah has been accused of throwing a lot of club footed horses, but my double Bey Shah horse is nearly perfectly even.  I think that Bey Shah was so prolific genetics among halter people who are breeding for TALL.

My two other horses are Russian/Crabbet/Polish - lots of Skrowneck.  They both have the same sire that has totally even feet.
The sire was also shown quite regularly at an early age and had adequate hoofcare and was kept in a stall and fed from a feeder.  My two horses were thrown out into the broodmare pasture to grow up and they had access to grazing 24/7.  They both have uneven feet - BUT IT'S THE OPPOSITE SIDES!  Also fed 100% alfalfa cubes so that they can "reach their genetic potential."  Very little corrective hoofcare

My feeling is that their genetic ideal was to not be fed that rich of a diet, maybe be a couple of inches shorter, and maybe not be eating in that "split stance" that Blake Edwards referred to.  It's the "long legs, short neck" syndrome that he says causes the split stance. My Bey Shah horse - who has the genetics to be way tall - grew up in pretty much identical circumstances and is totally even.

When I was having my mare x-rayed for lameness and talked to my vet about it.  He does not think it's genetic at all.

K.