[RC] Ponying - Tx Trigger

I have been ponying as conditioning more than one at a time for years. The question about how to do so with a dressage saddle makes me guess, they mean without a saddle horn. When you pony, you should NEVER tie off the horse you are ponying to a saddle horn, or in any way to the horse you are riding. Even to dally can end up in a wreck. The key to being able to pony, along with all the other great suggestions, is that the horse is taught to lead. Sounds pretty basic, but that is one of the biggest issues I see, is people have not really taught their horses to lead well.

We pony on all types of trails. if it is single track, the ponied horse is to fall behind, and not ride up on the ridden horses heels, and if two track, they come up with their head next to my leg. Do it enough, and they learn what is expected. I don't even think about it any more.

I have one horse who is VERY timid, and fearful of getting next to the other horse, so for him , he gets to follow behind, on a longer lead, as he does not want to be close to the horse I am riding if he can help it. But he is that way when ridden too. Actually easier to pony from him, than to pony him, but I like to rotate who gets to carry the weight for the day. lol

If you have never ponied, and want to, have someone who does it help you, or show you some tips on having it go well. And those polo pony riders would have sometimes 3-4 horses on each SIDE of them, working them around Griffith Park when I was a kid. Boy, you get out of the way when you have 7 to 9 horses coming at you. lol I stick to 1 at a time
Jonni