Re: RE: [RC] ponying - recklessheartranch

Key to ponying horses: have a golden pony horse. They need to be the calm one,
the one that works off your leg with just a whisper.

I worked as a polo groom for years and also ponied TBs on the track. With polo
horses you exercise those guys 2-3 at a time. Of course, they all knew how to
pony, but on a good pony horse, ponying them on a track (no obstacles), I could
arrange two on each side of my pony horse...all in an English saddle. We'd trot
and gallop for 30-40 minutes that way.

When we'd go out on the trail it was one on either side (these were broad
trails where we could go abreast).

You just coil the rope up in your hand and feed it out/gather it up as needed.
Teach your horse to lead up easily, then you can have somebody ride the horse
while you pony it till it gets the idea.

But the key is the pony horse. If your pony horse is a moron, all is lost.

Katrina