[RC] one butt two horses - rides2far

>>>Ok, so I am thinking this ponying thing sounds good.

The main thing you need to decide before heading down the trail riding one and ponying the other is what to do when you see the big spiderweb at face height just ahead.  Next decide how you will alter all your shirts & jackets. You'll be needing to lengthen one sleeve soon. :-) I've never wanted 2 horses fit bad enough to pony, but I have done it to get a new horse out on the trail and to keep my daughter's horse fit when she was off at camp, and the time he was dealing with a girth rub.

P.S. I recommend a crupper. It keeps the pony horse from clamping down quite so hard on the rope when they get it under their tail and start spinning.

P.S.S. Repeat after me: "I WILL turn loose of the horse I am ponying before it's too late...I *will* turn loose of the horse I'm ponying before it's too late....

P.S.S.S. On a serious note...the Parelli thing where you make a horse back up by wiggling the snap can be very handy to teach the ponied horse. When they start crowd to close you can back them off.

P.P.S.S.S. If forging isn't a problem I prefer to have a rope hooked right to the halter so that the ponied horse doesn't have that big snap swinging under his chin the whole time.

Angie (Big Butt one horse)

Get educated. Click here for Adult Education programs.