RE: [RC] ponying - Mellifluous

How would one pony with a dressage saddle?  That is the saddle that fits my green horse best.

From: awolfe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: brio_gal@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ponying
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:55:55 -0600

It often depends on the combination, in my limited experience.  Right now I am ponying my more experienced dominant gelding from my greener one, and it is working.  If I ride the dominant one he is more likely to threaten to kick.  But I have been able to trade off a brother and sister team.  Sometimes you can do it either way, and sometimes one way works better.  I have usually had more luck riding the greener one and ponying the older more dominant one, but some will allow you the leeway of trading off.

I usually carry a crop to wave in the face of the ponied horse if he makes an ugly face or offers to take a nip out of us.  I’m used to carrying a stick anyway – I convince myself I could beat off a mountain lion with it if I ever see one!  Not sure I could, but since we do have them – it helps my courage – along with lots of singing when necessary.  But to start ponying a certain combination, I wouldn’t head straight out on trail at first, but try it at home.  I don’t have an arena, but I just ride around my home field a few times to get the kinks out to see if it is working.

Another thing I do that you have to be REALLY careful about, but I find useful, is I use my saddle to help not have my arm jerked off.  Never tie a ponied horse to the saddle, one must always be ready to disengage very quickly.  But if I have a horn, I take half a turn around it, to help with the jerking forward or back problem.  If I have an endurance saddle I have the rope doubled, and pull it through the hole in front.  I just hold on to the doubled part, for it would be easy to let go and let it slide out in an emergency.  This is why I don’t just bring the whole lead rope through – there would be too long a tail to slide back through easily.  It takes quite a bit of adjusting to stay relatively safe, but that is what I do.  Once again, be very careful about this, and maybe it isn’t for everyone, but I have managed to survive quite a lot of miles this way – knock on wood!

So try your combinations near home, and see what works best, would be my advice.  It sure beats taking the time to ride two of them!

Anna

It’s a talkathon – but it’s not just talk. Check out the i’m Talkathon.