[RC] Endless Valley a nice weekend even though - Jon . Linderman

Last weekend I hauled out to Wisconsin to the Endless Valley ride.  The people, ride management, trail, trail markings were all first class.  Peggy Brush, Roberta Harms, and Linda Jacobson really worked hard for everyone to have a nice weekend.  The weather for July in the midwest was also uncharacteristically nice. So here's the thing.  I had a really nice weekend, and my own ride just sucked.  1 bad step, one big ditch, ride over!  The vets (Dr Tracy P-something, and Dr Gamm) cleaned him up and put in a couple stitches while Peggy Brush kept my spirits up that we might be able to get back out, but it was not to be.  I think she felt worse than I did & it was only my 2nd pull.  So 550 miles away from home whats a guy to do?  Grab a clipboard and scribe for the vets, help the others try to get thru by offering my hay, water, and shade, catch a loose horse galloping down the trail, clinch a few shoes, put on an easy boot, bundle up and cheer the lone remaining 100 miler into camp at 2 am. and enjoy the experience.  I've never had that "competitive" game face since I came to distance riding from human endurance sports but the weekend really reinforced having a good time regardless of the ride outcome.   I uncharacterisitcally wore a helmet and spared ride management from hauling my shattered brain pan to the hospital.  Thanks to all the recent nagging I listened to the voices in my head before jumping on my horse.  More and more I get fed up with the "me" junk on ride camp & at rides since I usually am part of ride management at 2 rides/year.  Heck I paid more to do that ride than most if not anyone.  Did I blister the ride management with accusations of dangerous trail or blame them.  Heck no.  My number was up that day but I didn't have to let it ruin my day, and more importantly ruin others...........not only is their no "I" in team, there no "I" in endurance!