Re: [RC] [RC] OLD HORSES - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Excellent question Judy.  What is the point?  I think most everyone here will agree that it is unnecessary to let a horse stand around and eat itself into oblivian.  I see a lot of horses in pasture all over my area that are prefectly great riding horses.  They are any where from 13-37.  There are also LOTS of kids that love to ride a lot of those guys in the pastures.  The owners let them.  It keeps the horses happy to have a human give them attention.  They get groomed, fed treats (mostly carrots), and the kid has tons of fun and learn from some very nice old school masters.

What it comes down to is if someone is 'forcing' a horse to do something that it is not cut out to do, can no longer do, has no desire to perform, etc.  Then that is a whole different issue isn't it?  As far as asking the horse.  Well, let me tell you I don't ask they TELL me with that neck craning strain that they do!  Dip their heads deep to the ground, roll their necks up and around, tossing their head straight into the air, and back to their shoulders!  Yes, it's their way to telling you to get the hell over there and do something with them.  Even my 33 year old Charmei would still do that when she would see my neighbor's 12 year old coming up the drive to ride.  I saddled her up and off they would go down the road for a 4-5 hours of riding!  She came back looking great, happy, and ready to do it again a week later!   Charmei is at a handicap riding school in Pleasant Grove now.  And she is LOVING all of the attention and riding that she can do.  If she is given time off, the director reports to me, she sulks!

There are plenty more stories I could share about all of these older horses.  Just suffice it to say they don't ask they tell you.  And if you are a good listener you will hear them!