To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:08:17 -0400
Subject: Re: [RC] 25 to 50's
From: rides2far@xxxxxxxx

>>> I think a lot of the limitations folks put on themselves are not necessary. Even my friend Lynelle, who wanted to do the 50 on her first ride, and wisely listened to me to do a 25 first, can't wait to do a 50 now.

I think it can be very hard to do 50 if you don't know how to make it easier on yourself. When I look back at some of the early 50's I did when I really suffered it was all caused not by the distance but by me not knowing to change stirrup length, what pants to wear, how to arrange buckles, to have a saddle that put my feet under me, etc. My back used to hurt so bad it was awful. It wasn't the distance, it was that I was riding in a cheap jumping saddle with my feet way out in front of me leaning forward not to fall backwards. If you have a good set up and if you'll ask for advice and take it from people who have figured things out, there's no need for you to spend forever "getting ready" to do 50.

When Josie did her first 50 at age 10 she would say something about her knees hurting and I'd say, "let me change your stirrups" and she'd argue with me that she was "*fine* keep going". I would ignore her and change them a little and soon she would admit they didn't hurt any more. You might last 25 miles in pain (why would you want to though?) but it will get you on longer distances. You don't get "tougher" and learn to stand 50 miles of pain, you get smarter and learn how to fix the cause of the pain and move on.

Angie

Free quote and debt consolidation information. Click Here.