RE: [RC] Vet Cards - David LeBlanc

Marci said:

> I am more concerned if he is eating, drinking, pooping and peeing than what a vet gives me as a score.  The key is in knowing what is normal for your own animal.  <snip … > Granted there are some idiots that need the vets to keep them from over riding their horses but the vast majority of endurance riders care about their horses and don’t want to get them in trouble.

Well, yes and no. I also had the experience of getting very good scores from a vet who is really sharp, only to have to take him back to her minutes later because he had a case of colic. Then a few years later, I had a vet who I didn’t think much of warn me he wasn’t right, I mostly blew her off, but did pay more attention as we left the check. Ended up turning around and pulling.

I agree completely with knowing your horse, but the vet isn’t exhausted, and I look at them as a team member. At least up here, we’ve got some really great vets, and I’d be crazy to not take full advantage of that resource. Ideally, they shouldn’t be there to yank you from the ride, but they may well see something you don’t. And early on when you might not know very well what’s normal for your animal, it’s especially important to fully utilize the vets.

Something I learned a lot from was working as a vet scribe all day. I’d recommend it to anyone, especially if you can work for a really good vet. After the rider leaves, ask them why they gave this score or that score, what made them comment on lameness, etc. I learned a lot that way, and it really helps in knowing your horse.