[RC] leave it - Jean Miller

It is not up to us to decide what price to put on each ride that a RM decides to do.  It is RM's decision.  And that is how it should be.  I have a sneaking suspicion that I am one of the longest enduring distance rider around, my first was in 1970.  I am still going.  I go to a ride based on how much it costs me to get there, will the old motor home make it, do I like the trail, and will it be marked well enough that I won't get lost.  I have no desire to do 50s anymore, I have no desire to play the comp game, I do enjoy the LDs.  I can get thru them and not hurt so very much.  I am still part of the gang, I still ride the trails I love, I still get to visit old friends and make new ones, and if the Fat Pony is up to it I can still WA HOO on trail.  I can still sneak out and do surprise vet checks on the comp riders (they hate me), and of course I can eat Ben and Jerry's when I am done.  It just doesn't get any better than that.  And above all, I met Truman in MI a couple of years ago, he is really a very nice guy who takes great care of his horse.  His wife is nice too.  In fact I have met very few bad apples in this sport and for the most part I have met nothing but nice folks on trail.  I will admit I have no fear of telling someone if I think they should wait while my horse drinks, I am just not very quiet anymore when it comes to my horse's care.  I can hear it now "jeanie, you have NEVER been quiet!"  Well I have always said, endurance riding, competitive riding, distance riding, LD riding, whatever one wants to call it, it is supposed to be FUN, bottom line.  Above all, I don't care what I get when I am done.  In fact, I don't stand for BC when I do LD cause I think it is meaningless.  But if a newbie or someone has been around for awhile and is doing LD, I tell them to stand for BC for the experience. I don't pay what 50s pay when I do LD, I am glad I don't have to.  I am guessing that I would pay the same if I had to.  But then I might not go to as many rides either.  It is a moot point.  The one putting on the ride, doing all the work, gets to choose what the cost will be.  Love it or leave it.  Jeanie