Re: [RC] LD and Placings now awards & expenses? - rides2far

Well, obviously they are getting half as many miles of trail to
ride, > and about half as much time out riding the trail.

Geez, then I don't think I can afford to be a really slow 100 miler if we
pay by the hour of "enjoyment". :-)

I am wavering between planning to charge the same for both distances next
year, or charging less for 25 and giving fewer "speed" awards. I honestly
don't see where my 25 mile entries cost me any less than my 50's this
year. The trail is marked for both, whether they ride it all once or
twice. Vets pretty much give up their day to come to a ride (actually
Friday afternoon too). Most have traveled. They're not going to cut their
price in half if they leave at 2 PM instead of 7PM.

I think we used to charge less for 25 milers thinking it would get people
to try out the sport. I think it was as much of a "introduction to" as a
"training ride" idea. Now we absolutely have professional 25 milers. They
simply ride 25. They're happy, that's the way they like it. More power to
them. I have plenty of friends who do that season after season, usually
not racing for the front but just enjoying well paced miles. That's not
an "introduction", that's just a different catagory. When I buy the same
awards I spend the same. If I knock out the speed awards I can see
differentiating in price.

Just for the record, this year I gave a 1st place award, 1st weight
division & Jr, BC, and top 10. I'd rather give recognition to the ones
who do a good job conditionining and competing their horse without
encouraging racing, but you've got to avoid becoming CT. I'm in
transition. There definitely will be a high vet score type award next
year. Maybe we'll let the vets choose and call it "The horse wewould
steal if they needed to get away from camp fast". :-)

Angie