Re: [RC] LD - Truman has it right (Am I really agreeing with Truman?) - Keith Kibler

Truman said,
"What a novel concept. Or as
another Beatle sone admonishes "Come Together..."

I have been staying out of this LD versus 50 debate as I am already an oddball here because of the whole gaited thing. You folks need to realize that in the world
of competitive athletics, well at least the various ones I have been exposed to, this group can be the just about the most contentious group imaginable. Not withstanding that many of us are fiercely proud of our horses and our breeds, while others (I am talking about you Truman) love to stir stuff up just for the fun of it, but we do have great reason to "come together".
We share so much in common. We really should strive to be supportive of each other and what we are trying to do. It should not make a difference if you are a first time Ld'er, a seasoned 50 miler or a Pan American games rider. Their is a reason that many refer to "ridecamp" as "rantcamp". But, the sad thing is the shrillness that shows up here from time to time is really a reflection of the hearts of some the riders that you bump into at times at rides. I am NOT saying that it is the norm. I am saying it is a problem. Thankfully, It is more a problem here on ridecamp than in real ride camps.
The heart of the issue, imho, is pride and arrogance. We ALL have reason to look into the mirror.
Bring someone new into the sport. Sponsor a jr. Encourage a new rider at a ride. Speak nicely and COMPLIMENT someone you bump into the trail that you are about to blow by at 15 mph during a training ride. It costs you nothing to tell someone "nice horse". You just might make someone's day and you just might bring someone new into the sport. Even better , you just make a new friend. Think a minute about our friend and group mentor who is "still ten feet tall". Think about her graciousness. We could all, myself included, use more of that.
btw, thank you Mike, Connie, Bruce, ride managers and volunteers and all the rest of you that pour yourself into this sport and into those of us who love it.

Keith Kibler
http://www.shawneesunrisefarm.net/