[RC] LD - Bruce Weary DC

Hi Carrie--
There is a difference between asking questions aimed at becoming better informed, such as, "How does the present point system work?", or "How and why did the present point system evolve to what it is today?" versus questions from relative beginners that ask, "Why can't we have more points and privileges than there already are?" The former questions seek to understand, while the latter question implies no interest in why things work the way they do, but rather an interest in how to change them to suit certain member's preferences. Many of us "old timers" remember and understand why things work as they do ( and have for a long time) and we also understand that time and experience help to make that reasoning clear. If some people respond with some exasperation, it may be because, like many topics on RC, this one comes up cyclically with newcomers questions aimed early on at finding ways to change our award system to suit them before trying to work within it and understand it fully first.
Creative ideas come from everywhere, incuding newcomers. But a lot of creativity and "field testing" has already gone onto our current system, and though endurance riding is much more about personal satisfaction and goals setting, our awards system is not designed to be exclusionary. Though imperfect in some folks' minds, it attempts to reward the level of effort given, whether that be in how many miles are ridden in a day, or on one horse, in a year, on a mare, by a 65 year old rider, or any one of many award categories.
One of the most common complaints about the annual convention is how LONG the awards ceremonies last, becuase there are so many awards to present, both at the national and regional level. That should be a good indication as to how much effort our tiny sport gives to recognizing the exploits of it's members. Bruce Weary