Re: [RC] [RC] LD/manners - Maryben Stover

And if you don't report it to the RM, nothing ever gets done about it.  They could be DQ'd for that.  When there are consequences, the manners improve drastically.........mb

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Two of the biggest no-nos in endurance riding are 1) Not waiting for a horse that is drinking, and 2) going through a gate without closing it, or not waiting in a group for the person who is closing it.  Very bad manners, in both cases.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 8:34 AM
Subject: [RC] LD/manners

I had to chuckle at Angie's comments about the LD riders/newbies and the potential lack of trail etiquette!

At least with newbies it's easier to try to explain to them that they need to show some manners since most of them want to learn.  What's tough is when it's experienced endurance riders being rude!  We were at a 3 day ride this past weekend and rode for a while with a guy and 2 women where the guy had a little experience and the women were new to endurance (we rode the LD) and he was doing a fantastic job explaining to them how to behave at water crossings and other good etiquette behavior.

Halfway through the second day we had an extremely experienced endurance rider who normally rides 50's or more that was on the LD.  She picked up a newbie and did a terrible job setting an example.  Four of us were in front of them for most of the first loop and then at a perfect stream to drink from about 4 miles from camp, we had arranged our 4 horses so they could all drink.  And then this woman came blasting up and told us to get out of the way because they weren't going to drink and went galloping off.  None of our horses were able to continue drinking after that.  Then we were catching up a bit when they were going through a gate.  They saw us, and jumped back on without closing the gate and galloped off again.

I think I've seen the worst displays of manners from people who normally ride 50's when they are riding LD than any other circumstance.

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.LosPinos-CO.com - Boarding, Sales and More

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com - Saddle Fitting