Re: [RC] Tevis entries by state - Lynelle Robertson

Hey what happens if they have to cancel the Tevis just like the WS100 due to poor air quality. No Calif is on fire and doesn't look to get much better. My vet said even training under these poor air conditions is not only bad for our lungs but could do permanent damage to the horses lungs that may not show up for months or years. The size of the particulate matter in the air is the major problem it is no different that asbestosis. I feel for ride management they are probably pulling their hair out about now.

--- On Sun, 7/6/08, Tx Trigger <txtrigger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Tx Trigger <txtrigger@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] Tevis entries by state
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 1:39 PM

2004 results listed riders states. That year, they started 244 horses, as it
was the 50th anniversary ride. 182 where from CA or NV.  62 were from
"other". But some of the UT and ID and OR riders I'd guess do not
have as
far to drive as some who live in the Southern most part of CA.  Looking at
those traveling a longer distance, we have one from FL, two from TX, one
from WI and one from PA.

I'd still say fuel prices are the number one reason. Tevis has never been a
"normal" 100. Many who enter, have no desire to ride any other 100,
and will
travel a great distance to give it a try.

Some riders are probably waiting to enter, as they knew it would be a lower
number of entries this year, with no waiting list to worry about. The entry
fee went up $50 on June 27th, but for some, because of the refund policy,
they might feel the extra $50 is worth it, in case they had to cancel their
entry for some reason.

**Refund Policy: Ride entry withdrawal requests received at the Tevis office
on/before July 3, 2008 (and horses pulled at check-in) will receive
a refund, less a $60 non-refundable administrative fee, 30 days post ride.
No refunds for withdraws after July 3, 2008 or for no shows. Horses
unable to start because of injury or sickness occurring on/after July 3,
2008 and fully documented by a vet, may receive partial refunds at the
discretion of ride management. Deadline for refund of stall reservations is
on/before July 3, 2008.**

Jonni