[RC] LD and Joe Long's post - Renee Dorsey

I do not know how to directly reply to Joe's post but I like what he said.I am preparing for my first LD later this summer - yep, I am a greenhorn newbie.   I have volunteered at some rides, but have not taken my own horse yet.    You bet your buttons that I will be one happy and proud camper when I finish that 25.   As long as my mare is sound and happy at the end, then I will be happy.   And then I can keep going....maybe next year, a 25 then try a 50 - we shall see.

Of course my ultimate goal in life is a Tevis buckle but the dangling of that HUGE carrot has caused me to start working out and taking better care of myself and riding more.  I see 25s as something that you have to do, put in your time so to speak - and if you are happy there, that is good too.   What I hate is seeing a newbie trying a 50 for her FIRST ride and nearly killing her horse because she has not "done her penance" in the 25s - I have a goofball near me like that, and I am not going to follow in her footsteps. (And she tells everyone she meets that she is an endurance rider.  Her AERC record tells a different story.)   It is a journey to a goal and you should not try to "skip" any steps.  IMHO, anyway.....

--
Renee E. Dorsey
"Love Many, Trust Few - but always paddle your OWN canoe."