Re: [RC] LD and Joe Long's post - Truman Prevatt

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>Many horses are not the same beasts in a large group in the excitement of a race venue as they are >>anywhere else regardless of mileage. In addition, just MHO I would prefer to find out issues with my horse on a shorter distance
I'm afraid I completely disagree on that one. Just to present the other side...When Bekki Crippen did her first ride with her new horse I wanted to ride with her, so I started with the LD's and then elevated rather than start with the 50's. I know plenty of LD's know trail etiquette, but in general it was AWFUL. How are you supposed to teach your new guy to drink when riders go galloping by when you stop? There was awful leapfrogging...somebody on a horse thundering up on your rear, passing, then you'd catch up wih them walking up ahead, people *running* then walking, just not the situation I'd want to start a new horse in. When I started my neice in endurance I had her enter one 25 and didn't ride with her. She was in tears telling me about the mass of horses galloping at speed down a hard gravel road and how she couldn't get out of it. She never did a 25 again after that one. Went to 50's and was happy. 50's aren't great at the start, but 25's are worse. 100's are the best, but then that's a bit much to start with unless you're Cindy. >g<

I've ridden LD's and 50' and have not seen any more problems in one than the other. There is leap frogging in 50's and there is leap frogging in LD's. There are people galloping away from water in LD and there are people galloping away from water in the 50. There are out of control horses in the 50 and there are out of control horses in the LD. There are rude riders in the LD and there are rude riders in the 50.

I've actually not seen any difference. If I start a new horse - which I will be doing some day pretty soon - I'll start last in and LD and work you way up if you find you want to go faster. In reality an endurance ride with 60 people starting on the trail is little different than an LD with 60 people starting. The 50's are riding faster these days.

Truman
--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil