Re: [RC] [RC] walker - Karen Sullivan

Nobody jumped on this yet?

From my very limited experience with gaited horse breeds, I will state my opinion that it's possible if the hores is ridden correctly (i.e. given LOTS of time to walk, walk walk on the trails up and down hills...encouraged to walk faster and flat walk, and NOT allowed to pace or even broken pace.  I am legging up a 6 year old Walker mare who was broken to ride at age 3, had 30 days, then sat for 2 years.
I bought her last summer, age 5, accidentally in foal....and started low key riding...occasionally, on a slight uphill, I could get a running walk...but frankly I didn't worry about the gaiting....she needed more work flexing and giving to the bit.

Just got back from a great weekend camping with her and my gaited mustang...the walker mare kept up at a very, very fast walk...which is the basis of a running walk....AND, i might say, a good, very balanced barefoot trim.

They are hardwired to gait, but it does take legging up, encouraging what you want, gently discouraging what you don't walk, and TIME.......
Karen