From: Barbara McCrary [mailto:bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:06 PM
To: purplehorsebarn@xxxxxxxxx; SandyDSA@xxxxxxx; D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson
Cc: Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF; jsrha@xxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] FW: Fireworks as a begginer ride

Last year on Fireworks, I was he first rider in a group of two, when we encountered three bicyclists on a blind turn of a single-track trail.  My horse, who is not generally a spooker, slammed on the brakes.  The first bicyclist said, "Damned horses!"  Had I thought quickly enough I should have said, "Damned bicycles!" but I've never been a master of the snappy retort.  Fortunately, the issue did not escalate.  I just explained that horses often are not accustomed to meeting bikes on a blind turn.  I hate dual-use trails, but if it came to a show-down, we all know horses would lose, because there are generally more people who ride bikes than ride horses.  Sigh....

Barbara