From: "sherman" <sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Permission not to pass...

Portion of quoted text:

I try to pay attention to what's going on all around, just like driving. =
So
if I feel someone gaining steadily, I'll ask if they want to pass, and =
look
for a safe place to pull over. If they don't want to pass but their =
presence
is annoying my horse (my mare is particularly bothered by boys behind =
her)
then I'll announce "I'm going to pull over so you can pass because my =
horse
is bothered, blah, blah, blah. If they want to stay together, then I ask
them to stay at least 3-4 horse lengths behind (or whatever is required =
for
my horse to stop her "I'm really annoyed" behavior), and explain that my
horse doesn't like unknown horses close behind. I've never had anyone =
not
cooperate when I was the one in front that needed some rear end cushion. =
wouldn't tolerate someone riding our tail that didn't want to pass and =
have
never had anyone continue to ride close when I've explained my =
situation.

Kathy