[RC] Fireworks as a begginer ride - sherman

Since many riders have never experienced “last horse syndrome” it is a good thing to discuss not only here, but on conditioning rides as well as sanctioned rides. If the water stops only allow one or two horses in at a time, even though those horses may wait for the last horse, that last horse knows he’s in danger of getting left behind and may not drink well. If this goes on all day, the horse might end up dehydrated. A better way to handle it is for one of the front horses to move behind the last horse and wait there (if it’s safe). Sometimes we want to keep the same “trail” position due to a horse being too shy up front, or too slow, or too fast, etc. but yes, it can be a problem to always have the same horse last at the water.

Now if there’s a big trough that they can share, and you know your horse is even going to lay their ears back at another horse, then give yourself plenty of room and don’t squish in before the others are thru drinking. OTOH, if the horses are standing there not drinking ask if they’re done would they please move the horse away so your horse can drink.  Another big one, if you’re there first, even if you are alone, ask (sometimes this has to be done loudly and firmly before they get there, because after the fact may be too late for your horse to take an good drink) approaching riders to approach slowly or just wait until your horse is done before they come up. Horses are like kids and you are their protector, right (:>)

Kathy

I think that many people just do not know the etiquette rules for an endurance or distance ride.  For instance, I was once chastised because I didn't trade off who went first into the water with the person riding with me.  I had no clue that it made any difference who went first into the water and since she never asked to go first, I just went on my merry way.  If she had ever just asked or told me nicely there was a problem, I would have been happy to trade off.  Sometimes people just need to be told nicely (before you get so mad you end up yelling at them).  I have really appreciated the times that people have just said, "hey, it works better for all of the horses involved if you just do X, or don't do Y."

Rhonda

that's correct - and in addition, when faced with such a situation, would it also not be better for all if one thought about the more conservatively courteous thing to do? For example, if I come to a water trough and no one is actively drinking, I might just query "is anyone going to drink or may I water MY horse?" In that case, I have done my part as to both civility and common courtesy. If no answer, I water my horse. If someone come sup and barges in while my horse is drinking, and it causes an issue, I Will politely ask them if they could wait just a moment. Usually more than one horse can  share a trough but not always. Again, grown up people exhibiting common sense AND courtesy works.

Sandy Adams