[RC] re: LD, 50, 100 - Cindy Collins

This one quote below probably summarizes the huge divide between the old timers and many of the younger generation of riders (though not all). It's why we have such a hard time with this issue and why we keep hurting each other's feelings even when that's not our intention and why we just "don't get" the other side.  Most of us that started out in the 70s or early 80s had one day 100 milers as our goal, period.  We were "taught" that "that" was endurance riding.  The goal was always Tevis, Old Dominion, Big Horn, etc.  You did 50s just to get ready for the 100s.  There was no LD, that was considered a training ride you did at home.  People are taking offense where none is intended, it's just two totally different views of the word "endurance."  When I started, there weren't alot of independently wealthy folks, either...a few, of course.  But, most people doing one day 100s were working poor folks with families and jobs.  Endurance riding was a huge sacrifice in time and effort and money that took a lot of family support and understanding.  I never heard people saying that they couldn't do 100s cause they couldn't find time to condition until the last 10 years or so.  I heard people talk about not having a 100 mile horse, or having personal injuries that kept them side lined or having to go to less rides because of money or because they were pregnant or had a new baby or a new job and had to wait a year, etc.  Lots of people only did one or two rides a year and for MANY of them, that one ride was a 100 miler.  So, because of "when" some of us started riding endurance, it's really difficult for us to understand the incessant whining about how 100 milers are permanently out of reach.  I've had my own health problems since 2002 that have prevented me from doing any one day 100s or multiday XP rides (which I also love), but that doesn't mean I want to get bigger awards for doing lesser miles.  I honestly don't get it.  I truly don't mean it to be arrogant or put down anyone, in any way, and I don't think other people mean it that way either.  I've "run" in 5Ks and in 50Ks and I don't expect the same recognition or feeling of accomplishment from the two distances.  I don't feel put down when I ride a 50 miler, instead of a 100 (though I am sad:) and I don't feel "put down" when I hike 5 miles vs. running a 50K.  I certainly don't consider them equal, though.  To me this is about how we feel about ourselves.  Cindy

"Personally, I started endurance with a 100 as my goal which I'd hoped
to reach in a year or two."

Cindy Collins