[RC] Decade team Recognition Updated - Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF - sherman

Yes, that’s the spirit, Carrie! If you can condition for an LD, do a few LDs, then your horse is probably ready for a slow 50, especially if at some previous time, the horse was doing 50s. I did a few LDs to prepare for my first 50, the only difference was that I did them without AERC.

I think you’re new to endurance, yes? The reason LDs aren’t rewarded much (there are some awards) is that endurance riding started out with 100 mile rides (and longer), then the 50s were added to help riders and horses make the jump from conditioning rides to 100s. I can’t remember the exact terminology, I’m sure someone else will jump in here, but a horse’s metabolic system goes into a different mode to complete a 50+ mile ride, thus it’s still “endurance riding”, however, the horse can complete a 25-30 without going into that mode…at least that’s the way it was explained to me.

BTW, I have 5 barefoot horses, 1 shod, 1 wears boots for endurance rides, my dog stays home and doesn’t bark, pee/poop in other people’s camp area/hay, etc, and I don’t have a generator to run late at night to keep everyone around me awake (:>)

Kathy

Well, I stand corrected then.  For some reason (maybe other comments in the
group) I thought I would definitely have to do more than my 20+ miles a week
conditioning in order to complete a 50.  I'll guess I'll just have to try it,
nice and slow, like you said and see how it goes.

Carrie Kitley