[RC] a bobcat, a calf, and a very large box -- and no bolt! - alexis_mills

Perhaps my beautiful Samurai is finally growing up and starting to trust me. He's six now, and we've been together three years.
    I've been taking him regularly into the narrow wash where he likes to spin and bolt (to confront my/his fear and all that), but today he just stopped and arched his neck to alert me, and we watched a bobcat slink across the wash about 50 yds ahead. Sami was pretty tense but willing to go on after that, a huge improvement.
    The calf at the corner he barely gave a glance (despite his/my cow phobia). And even though he leaped to the right and skittered sideways when he spotted a huge cardboard box entangled in the brush, he didn't spin or try to take take off for a change.
    He's much more settled with company, but no one else at the stable likes to ride for more than an hour, and they don't like riding the wash, so we're usually out alone.
    I wonder how he would react to a badger. I saw one crossing the road near my house yesterday, and when he got to the shoulder, he turned to look at me. That's the first I've ever seen in the wild -- a thrill that made my day.
     Hope to see some of you on the trail in the not-too-distant future.

    Alexis