[RC] Trainer/Instructor needed - Marlene Moss

Hello,

I hope this is ok to post here, I looked on the classifieds and it didn’t look like the employment part was working – and I’m not selling anything!!!

Anyhow,  I have a good sized boarding facility in southeastern Colorado and I am looking for a horse trainer/riding instructor.  My current trainer is moving on in August since her husband wants to go work at a big reining facility.  She has worked here for the past year and a half and usually had at least 3 horses in training and sometimes as many as 8.  This was a combination of horses boarded here and outside horses brought in just for training.  Most of the training involved colt starting or just a little refresher/refining work although one boarder had her husband come do some reining work.  She charged $450 for training.

Lessons were primarily beginner English and Western, with a couple students at an intermediate level.  We provide the lesson horses.  She usually has 2-3 lessons a week over the winter and probably has 6 or more during the summer with some of them being short term or sporadic.  She charged $35/hour for lessons, of which $5 went to me for the lesson horse or for a trailer in fee if they brought their own.  I didn’t get anything if it was a boarder getting a lesson on their own horse.  She probably worked 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week.

This is not a salaried position, rather contracts with individual clients, but I did do all the advertising that brought the clients in – if she had done any of her own advertising, the work could have been more steady or even more volume.  For the right trainer, I would have a couple boarders with immediate work so someone wouldn’t be starting from ground zero.  I might have a couple myself – I want to partner up with someone to buy/train/sell as the market allows too.

The main reason I am posting this here is because I really want someone who is comfortable doing training on the trail.  This trainer wasn’t and most of my boarders are trail riders and are having a hard time figuring out why their perfect arena horse is different on the trail.  I do not charge for the use of the facility for training, nor require a block of stalls to be leased, so this is an easy way to launch a training career for someone who has the ability to move here and get through a little bit of getting started time.  I can help locate a place to live – the cost of living isn’t too bad around here.  (or for someone with some bucks, there is a very nice horse property down the road!).  We have some of the best places to ride in the county in some aspects and can ride for miles.  I go out 2-3 times a day and several boarders are very active riders.

As far as the facility, we have 2 round pens, small arena, large arena, barrels, poles, jumps, dressage letters, and access to lots of trails.  There is sort of an indoor space, but it was originally a roping arena, so too narrow for much real work, plus where most horses are boarded.  The weather is pretty good around here, so an indoor is rarely needed.

If you or someone you know might be interested, please feel free to forward this or contact me via email at Marlene (at) LosPinos-CO (dot) com.  Or my phone number is 719-351-5037.

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.LosPinos-CO.com - Boarding, Sales and More

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com - Saddle Fitting