RE: [RC] pesticide ear tags - Mellifluous

Not sure if you are doing 4 different horses or not, but I would only do one in the mane.  Do you know what chemicals are on the insecticidal ear tags you got?  Some of them are more potent than others and I would wear gloves when handling the tag.  I like to use permetherin (sp) ones.  I would feel comfortable with any that say they are safe for lactating dairy cattle.

As far as braiding goes, I tie the tag on a piece of baling twine a couple of inches longer than the mane.  I start the braid in the mane and then tie end the string opposite the tag end into the top of the braid.  From there I put the twine in with one of the sections of mane I am braiding and braid it until you have taken up all of the excess twine to the tag.  That method has worked pretty well for me.  I usually locate the tag toward the upper middle part of the neck and make sure that the tag will not get close their eyes when they are grazing.

Mel

To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] pesticide ear tags
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:28:32 -0400
From: vjhogen@xxxxxxxxxxxx

There was a couple posts recently on using pestacide ear tags on horses.  I went and asked the rancher next door if I could try a couple.  So I have 4 tags here and would like some ideas on how to braid them into the mane. I thought I would try a couple different ways and see what works the best.  If I can get them to stay for longer than a few days I will give them a try this summer..

thanks
vickie hogen

It’s easy to add contacts from Facebook and other social sites through Windows Live™ Messenger. Learn How.