RE: [RC] [RC] Nineteen? (was: Big Ride Training) - heidi

At no time did I see anybody get critical of the author. The content got
a footnote, along with praise. Then everyone who thinks any correction is
an insult came to the kid's defense and made discussion out to be an
attack.

Since some seem to think that any correction at all is a slam, I'd just
like to point out that I appreciate Kat correcting my mistake about
magnesium, and I appreciate anyone who will tell me if they notice me
riding crooked, or that my horse might carry himself better in a
different bit, or any other thing they have learned in the school of hard
knocks. Saves me a lot of time and trouble and my ego is not so fragile
that I can't stand constructive criticism.

Well said, Angie.  The young author is deserving of high praise for her
article, but ALL authors should be willing to have their work reviewed by
others, and to have possible areas of misunderstanding edited or corrected
before the work goes to print.

I had my first article published in a national magazine (HORSE AND RIDER) when
I was 17.  You betcha that others read and commented on that article before it
was sent in for publication!  Now, well over four decades later, I am in the
process of writing a book of religious short stories.  I just sent the fourth
of five stories off yesterday to some very astute seminary professors and
colleagues who are serving as "professional readers" to find holes in the
stories before they go to print.  (And these are essentially FICTION stories,
folks!)

We are never too young--or too old--to have our work improved before it goes
out in print in educational venues.  Elsie's article was well-written, and
those who know her have every right to be proud of her.  That said, a little
bit of editorial review would have been in order.

Heidi