RE: [RC] Auburn-horrible craigslister - Gerry & Cindy

Kathy, I too went to see those horses and agree with you. The woman said they were taking 4 of them to the auction tomorrow but were going to put a minimum bid of $900. Four of the horses were in really good shape, good flesh. I told her the killer buyers would probably pay $400 for them if 40 cents a pound is the going rate but she said  they are putting on that minimum bid. She had hay in the back of the truck she had gotten for free because they traded their boat for it. The other thing is the stallion is 16 MONTHS  old and has bred 3 mares. No papers on them, no training, said they bought them from a friend cause he couldn’t afford to feed them. Who knows the real story—it sure is a sad turn of events though. 4 of the horses have good bone and solid feet. The poor ewe has a cough and runny nose. The dog ran after my car—shall I take them all? Cindy

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of sherman
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 11:45 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Auburn-horrible craigslister

Their ad was different last week, had two “horses and sheep for sale” and another “half Arab half APHA for sale”. My neighbor is looking for a small safe sound horse for trail riding so I inquired, they said the horse would be good for a beginner rider, so we went and looked the next day. These people know NOTHING about horses, I have no idea how they ended up with all of them. The woman stood by and watched while I had to show the man how to bridle the 13H pretty little pinto. The horses looked well fed, except for this little guy, he had many, many scrapes on him (the guy said he followed one of the other horses thru a fence) and every other horse there picked on him. The rest of the horses are mostly geldings, the little pinto they’d had for only 6 mos., the others I didn’t ask.

We asked the man to ride him first as we were not willing to risk a bucking horse and we’d already had owners showing their “well trained, child safe horses” put on a bucking show.  He was very hesitant to try to ride, but did get on the little guy. Although he was gentle for a lead line pony, he was obviously not trained and didn’t have a clue what to do when someone was on his back unless he was being led and he did that willingly and without any fuss about tarps etc. He peed a very dark, murky yellow, not orange, red or coffee color. I inquired as to the availability of water and he said the horse drank lots, there was a full 80gal tank with a float on it that I then saw the horses drinking out of. He had hay there and mentioned the high price and I told him to go buy from a farmer he’d get a better price. He has a flatbed and said he’d do that. I told him he needed to find someone who wants to train a horse to buy the little pinto.

None of the horses there had been bred/born there, but due to a stallion running with the group there was at least one pregnant mare which he offered to let us try. He’d never ridden her. Then he said there was another that was “supposedly” good, but he’d never ridden him either. He had an old horse that looked like she had back/hip problems that he said he’d rescued and put more than 100 pounds on her already, but she still had a set of shoes on and her feet only very slightly overgrown, so I think she hadn’t been there long. I have no idea why these people have horses or where they came from, they didn’t breed them. I think their minds aren’t quite right and maybe they go around collecting free horses that they thought they could sell? or maybe they picked them up at the auction and now realize the incredible financial burden of having 9 or so horses and have to take them back to where they got them? Who knows…

Then there was the party stating they had room for a rescue. When I inquired as to whether they wanted a riding horse or pasture ornament, the poster flipped out that I would dare call any animal an ornament…blah, blah, blah. I told her that was a well known term of endearment commonly used to express the fact that the horse can still adorn the pasture even though it is not ridden. She was looking for a nice free riding horse, obviously didn’t have much horse knowledge either.

And there’s my craig’s list stories...

Kathy